skip to content

Corporate Leaders Groups

Business leadership for a climate neutral economy

Register for our High-level event: ‘Circular Savings: Business perspectives on energy savings through circular practices’ On behalf of CLG Europe’s Materials and Products Taskforce. Wednesday, 10th May 11.00-12.00 CEST (Online). 

Context and background   

Europe is undergoing a deep transformation towards a greener, cleaner economy. There is a systemic shift that is needed. Currently, this is happening too slowly, and greater acceleration is needed if we are to meet our climate objectives. Current EU energy legislation tackles 55% of our emissions, but the circular economy can further tackle the remaining 45% of emissions derived from material production.  

This event will discuss our new paper, which highlights how a circular economy can lead to energy savings while reducing emissions, making it a double-win for both the economy and environment. The publication of this paper comes past the year’s mark of Russia’s war in Ukraine, which has plunged Europe into an energy and climate crisis. The continued effects underline the importance not only of reducing our dependence on fossil fuels and increasing energy efficiency but also of ensuring resilient supplies, and the smart use of all materials.  

CLG Europe launched the Taskforce for climate neutral and circular materials and products, involving members of CLG Europe and other leading businesses. The vision of our Taskforce is of a group which brings together companies that are actively committed to using climate neutral and sustainable materials, and who raise awareness about the need for EU measures to help decarbonise materials. The Taskforce is a cross-sectoral and cross-value chain group with an ambitious standpoint that builds clear outreach to EU decisionmakers.  

This event will be hosted by CLG Europe’s Taskforce on Climate Neutral and Circular Materials and Products. The Taskforce was launched with the aim of driving forward policy action on sustainable materials by bringing together a group of progressive businesses across sectors and value chains.   

The group brings together companies that are actively committed to producing and using climate neutral and sustainable materials, and who want to work together to promote and support EU-wide measures to decarbonise material production and use. At COP27, the Taskforce launched its latest publication investigating the links between circular economy and climate  

We previously hosted two webinars following the March and November circular economy packages. Following the release of the packages, the Materials and Products Taskforce released its rapid reaction and more in-depth analysis. Since the release of the package, the Taskforce has been particularly focusing on the ESPR and has published a report exploring the benefits of digital products passports.  

CLG Europe is an influential and cross-sectoral group of European businesses collaborating to accelerate economy-wide action for a climate neutral economy. Our aim is to provide a forum to promote positive exchange between progressive European governments and businesses, determined to support the development of a climate neutral and prosperous Europe.   

Confirmed Speakers Include:   

  • Tahmid Chowdhury, Programme Manager, Materials and Products Taskforce Lead, Cambridge Institute for Sustainability Leadership, Brussels 
  • Anthony Abbotts, Director Group Public Affairs and Sustainability, ROCKWOOL Group, Denmark 
  • Céline Carré, Head of Public Affairs, Saint-Gobain, France 
  • Thomas Marinelli, Head of Sustainable Products, Signify N.V., The Netherlands 
  • Bianca Drotleff, Project Manager, Cambridge Institute for Sustainability Leadership, Cambridge 
  • Francesco Giannelli, Policy Intern, Materials and Products Taskforce Lead, Cambridge Institute for Sustainability Leadership, Brussels  

Secure your registration here.  

If you have any questions about this event, please contact  

Wednesday, 10 May, 2023 - 11:00